The Arizona House Democratic Caucus seeks an experienced and hardworking individual to join our team of policy advisors.
A Policy Advisor provides strategic guidance to the chief of staff and elected officials regarding specific policy area issues. A policy advisor is required to research, analyze and offer advice about potential and existing legislation. The ideal candidate will be proactive, work well in a fast-paced environment, and have experience in public policy and the legislative process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Staff legislative committees and policy issues.
· Monitor bills as they proceed through the legislative process.
· Draft bills and amendments with assistance from legislative drafting attorneys.
· Compile information about the impact of legislation through research and discussion with stakeholders,
lobbyists, and allied groups.
· Brief Democratic House Members on legislation.
· Prepare written summaries and make oral presentations about legislation.
· Respond to constituent inquiries.
· Draft briefing papers and talking points on assigned issues and legislation.
· Assist other lead staff with community outreach and media relations efforts as needed in assigned
legislative subject areas.
· Support other team members on other duties as assigned or required.
· Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree or Law degree preferred).
· Knowledge of and experience with legislative processes and government institutions.
· Strong analytical, research, writing and oral presentation skills.
· Professionalism, confidentiality, and integrity.
· Ability to succeed in a busy and demanding work environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines
· Willingness to be part of a team that works closely and collectively to advance the goals of Caucus
Members and colleagues.
· Knowledge of policy issues currently being considered by the Arizona Legislature.
· Knowledge of health, human services and/or veteran issues preferred.
Salary is negotiable based on experience and education. Benefits include health, dental, vision, and retirement.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com by Friday, November 2, 2018. Please include “Policy Advisor Candidate, YOUR NAME” in the subject line. For questions please call 602-926-5848.